Philly Rock'n'Roll Half Marathon Race Recap

IMG_0368.JPG

Last weekend I completed the Philly Rock'n'Roll Half Marathon! It was a fun race that gave me a great tour of the City of Brotherly Love.

IMG_5081.JPG

The night before the race I met up with some awesome local bloggers for dinner at Cantina Dos Segundos.

IMG_0341.JPG

After demolishing the chips basket I ordered a side of vegan beef with the Papaya Sald- green papaya, papaya escabeche, avocado, red onion,cilantro and papaya seed vinaigrette. The meal was so salty but so good!

IMG_0342.JPG

Obviously the company was my favorite part :-)

-2.jpg

Race morning came too soon! I woke up extra early so I could run the two miles to the race to get in extra milage. Training for ultra distances changes the way I think about races and race distances. Just a year and a half ago I was completing my first half marathon and it was a BEAST! It was the hardest thing I had ever attempted and it was by far my biggest focus at that time.

Fast forward to now and I'm weeks to a full Ironman and 13.1 seems like a warm-up. Funny how things naturally progress :)


IMG_0352.jpg IMG_0353.jpg

The race start was packed but I managed to find Olivia and Vee!

IMG_0355.jpg IMG_0356.jpg

The girls and I ran a comfortable pace the first several miles. I loved having two fun locals pointing out Phily facts along the course!

IMG_0357.jpg IMG_0358.JPG

Like I always say, I think running is the best was to explore a city!

IMG_0359.JPG IMG_0360.jpg IMG_0362.JPG IMG_0364.JPG IMG_0367.JPG IMG_0369.jpg IMG_0371.JPG

IMG_0372.JPG IMG_0373.jpg

Hey lululemon cheer team!

IMG_0374.jpg

Around mile 6 I broke away to push myself harder for the rest of the race. I hated saying goodbye, but I knew I needed to really get my heart rate up for a good training workout.

IMG_0375.JPG

Since this race was part of the Rock'n'Roll series, there were several bands set up along the way. I was actually disappointed in the quality and quantity of the bands. Most of the bands were inbetween sets when I ran past, and there weren't any more bands than what would randomly set up for any other local marathon. Basically, if it "Rock'n'Roll" wasn't posted over all merchandise, I wouldn't have even known it had anything to do with music.

IMG_0376.jpg

I felt really strong and consistent throughout the race. I had fun taking in the sights and snapping photos!

IMG_0378.JPG

The course was beautiful! I loved running through the city, along the river and past characteristic homes. Quite the change of scenery!

IMG_0379.JPG

The crowd at the finish line was amazing! The last .2 miles of the course was lined with cheering fans. It was a fun finish!

IMG_0380.jpg

I ended up finishing in 2:26:40. For taking the first half slow and never checking my pace, I'll take it!

IMG_0382.JPG

I wandered around the finisher's area where they had lots of food and a live cover band and met and chatted with a few more awesome bloggers. I feel so grateful to be able to go into a new city and hang out with so many awesome people. Trust me, it is exciting each time!

IMG_0383.jpg

After running another two miles back to the hotel (brining the daily total to 17 miles), I headed out for last-minute stops at Duross & Langel and Sweet Freedom Bakery. Two friends recommended these shops and I'm so happy I listened!

IMG_0384.jpg

If you're in Philly, be sure to check out Sweet Freedom Bakery for a gluten-free, vegan and allergy-friendly sweet treat. I wasn't a fan of the customer service, but the chocolate chip cookie sandwich won me over!

IMG_0385.JPG


Have you ever competed in a race outside your hometown?